- 7 cupswater
- 2 cupssugar
- 8 tea bags orange pekoe tea
- 8 sprigsfresh mint
- 8 cupscold water
- 2 cupsorange juice
- 3/4 cuplemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
1. In a large saucepan combine the 7 cups water and 2 cups sugar. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add tea bags and 8 mint sprigs; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove tea bags and mint sprigs; discard.
2. Transfer tea to a heatproof 1-1 /2- to 2-gallon bowl or container. Add the 8 cups cold water, orange juice, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 2 days. Serve tea over ice and garnish with additional mint sprigs. Makes 16 to 18 8-ounce servings.
AND STRAWBERRY - -
- 2 poundsfresh strawberries or two 16-ounce packages frozen unsweetened whole strawberries
- 1 cuppacked brown sugar
- 1 cupwater
- 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoonssnipped fresh rosemary (optional)
- Ice cubes
- 1 recipe Iced Tea (see Recipe Center) or one 1-liter bottle club soda, chilled
- Fresh strawberries (optional)
1. In a large saucepan combine fresh or frozen strawberries, brown sugar, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Using a vegetable peeler, remove strips of peel from lemons; juice the lemons (should have 1/2 cup). Add strips of lemon peel, lemon juice, and rosemary to mixture in saucepan. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Cover; cool to room temperature.
3. Press mixture through a fine mesh sieve; discard solids (you should have about 1 quart syrup). To serve, fill glass with ice. To each glass add 1/2 cup Iced Tea and syrup to taste (about 1/2 cup). Garnish with fresh strawberries. Makes about eight (8-ounce) servings.